UK Fastener Suppliers – Industrial Fasteners and Fixings – Special Fasteners
Call Us: +44 (0)114 2565200

History and Company Vision

Our Company Vision

Our purpose, why are we in business?

  • Delight our customers by providing the right product at the right price, in the right place at the right time
  • Provide solutions to our customers’ problems, even before they occur
  • Provide a happy and stimulating environment for all our employees
  • Develop the business through growth for the future success of everyone involved

What values do we need to be able to achieve our purpose?

  • Respect
  • Honesty
  • Want to make a difference
  • Possess the right attitude
  • Reliability
  • Forward thinking
  • Work together/teamwork
  • Quality
  • Be conscientious

Where do we want to be in the future?

  • One of the top fastener/fixing suppliers in the country recognised for value and customer service
  • First class service policy where the focus is on getting it right first time, reducing wastage costs by improving on efficiencies
  • Focus on quality in all areas
  • Everyone sees the benefit from working smarter, not harder

 

Our Company History

Williams Fasteners was formed back in 1875 when George Williams moved to Sheffield at the age of 23. George’s background had been largely in boot manufacturing, but he set up in business with his brother Edward in Norfolk Street as brass founders and general merchants. They dealt in steel files, spring bolts and nuts, nails, screws and aluminium, as well as being agents for firebricks and pot clays.

In 1877 Williams Brothers moved to premises in Green Lane, Kelham Island, a site conveniently situated in the heart of Sheffield’s industrial area, acquiring the stock, plants and debts of an already established firm. The building was reported to have been haunted – but that is another story!

In those early years, when deliveries were made by horse and cart, local people were used to seeing Williams Brothers flat carts around the streets. The horses were reputed to know the delivery run so well that if the driver fell asleep with the reins in his hands, the horse would get him back through the archway and in to Williams Brothers cobbled yard.

Through the years, many of the firm’s employees have also been whole families, with husbands and wives, fathers and mothers, sons and daughters and cousins, working together, which is still the same today. George Williams died in 1905 but his family continued to run the business until 2005. In 1919 the firm took another step forward and became a limited company, Williams Brothers (Sheffield) Ltd. The 1960’s saw the final years of the brass foundry and the opening of new offices in Green Lane.

Williams Fasteners, as we are known today, pride ourselves on servicing Blue Chip companies on a national basis in the steel, mining and utility industries. With a customer base of over 3000, ranging as far afield as Cornwall and Scotland in the UK, as well as worldwide in China, Venezuela and the Caribbean.

Down the years Williams Brothers have been ready to respond to the changing needs of the market place, establishing a track record for providing a first class service to our customers. We put our success down to a combination of our friendly and knowledgeable workforce, stock and the ability to tailor-make non-stock items to a clients order.

In an ongoing drive for constant improvement in customer service, staff training is high on the agenda. Staff tend to stay with the company, and clients still deal directly with employees who have been with Williams Fasteners for upwards of twenty years, with less than ten years service being considered a new boy.

From 1993 the company has undergone dramatic expansion, with turnover increasing from £3million to around £7million, capturing a number of large national contracts. In 1997 the company bought Anfast, a fastenings distributor based in Norwich. This enabled us to focus on supplying the needs of our customers within forty miles of the premises, and gave us the opportunity to add further specialist products to our range and tap into new markets.

In the same year, Williams Fasteners transferred our Head Office and delivery depot from Green Lane to the present headquarters in Shepcote Lane, Tinsley. With a 30,000 sq ft warehouse and 6,000 sq ft offices, it allows us to store and monitor our £1.5million of stock.

Unfortunately, towards the end of the millenium, due to the sudden death of the last male member of the Williams family, Phillip Williams, the company has lost its place as a leading distributor. However, we have now started our climb back to the top and today we have premises in Middlesborough, Manchester and, our newest branch which opened in 2004, South Wales, offering a range of more than 50,000 items; screws, nuts, bolts, washers and rivets of every kind, which can be ready for delivery the same day.

The company remained as a family run business until July 2005 when the final family member, Andrea Shelley, great granddaughter of George Williams, completed the sale of the company to Tony Searles and Susan Battersby, two of the company directors.

Eleven years later the company found itself in trouble again. In October 2016 the company went into administration. Northern Power Tools & Equipment Ltd, of Sheffield, bought the assets of the business and has been working on making the business successful again by reducing overheads and implementing a new software system.

 

 

Contact

Units 4 - 5 Coleford Road Business Centre, Coleford Road,
Darnall, Sheffield, S9 5NF

Phone: +44 (0)114 2565200
Fax: + 44(0)114 2565210
Email: sales@williamsfasteners.com